Question every student should plan for – Where does the time go?
(Attention management for Students)
In the current phase of electronic gadgets & internet we are in a new world, world of streaming & socializing and ultimately time consuming. Technology is evil necessary for all and the job of the technology especially internet is to keep you browsing. But every student need to ponder for a while to learn and manage attention management. This one art is normally not taught in any college. During exam most of us prepares a study time table but then most of us also fails to realize its full potential. Do you want to know why? Because while managing time we often fail to prioritize attention.
The problem is that we are planning productivity with time table routine thinking to extract productivity which is wrong in current scenario. This was true in our father’s time where there was no distraction if you get locked in a room and plan to study for whole day. But now, we are lashed with electronic gadgets and most necessarily our mobile phone. Generally, in every 10 min our mobile vibrates with messages or with voice calls, chats, texts message, video call, email, socializing apps etc. In fact, our addiction to distraction is the ultimate goal. Students still plan old fashioned idea of time and productivity management, but to succeed, we actually need to master attention management. Due to these distraction, we will not have enough time to complete planned activities what we should do or want to do.
If we focus on attention management, students may very easily achieve
- Focus, mindfulness and flow.
- Higher engagement and improved morale.
- Regaining control over your attention.
- Reduction of unproductive behaviour.
The awareness of attention toward your behavior will support in successfully changing habits. Practicing attention management is most likely to require a change in way you study and plan.
At eCareerMentor.in , through our mentorship program , we take out students through ideas and strategies to help students practice attention management along with our other plans. We show big picture perspective and not just day to day routine planning. Our students feel inspired and motivated to start working out and learning to succeed immediately!
To conclude, we may say “Unleash your Genius within”.
Don’t let yourself be an average, Do time Management!
“All the flowers of all the tomorrows are in the seeds of today” this line is easy to read but difficult to practice in life and that’s why most of us are average in our life. This article is targeted to graduating students and professional of tomorrow. Don’t let yourself to be an average. It’s ok as what we have done till 10th. But duration after 12th really set the trend we are going to live thereafter and throughout of live. Being in education sector we meet a lot of graduating students and even we professional in industry make commitment to ourself that we never keep. Where do we actually fail? It’s called time management. This what makes a person average for throughout his life. Although this article is aimed for students but may equally be taken by professional at whatever career graph we are at.
In colleges parents pay for their child futures in lacs. They pay it for present classes and we keep procrastinating that we will priorities ourself in future. “Untill we can manage time, we can manage nothing else”. In MBA classes, why there is always one topper and even in graduation and so in 12th, although the same classes & same teacher are available to all. Because we need to value we pay for time but unfortunately most of us do not. It may be a harsh reality to hear but it is. Taking this question to lot of students, we have developed program for eCareerMentoring.
eCareerMentor.in is not same as eLearning. There are already lot of eLearning platforms and courses to take but we as mentor guide students as how to study, which are normally not taught in college curriculum. There is no dearth of study material around and actually we recommend to stick to college study books alone.
There are many self-development steps we take students through, and time management is at core of it. Based upon our experience, below is a small article rather an advice to all students to value the present before getting tagged as an average forever.
Before going forwards let’s break the ice by accepting that 99% of the famous & successful persons are self- made personality and only a few have by-birth talent. And we need not reiterate that, each one of us have equal time during a day. Then how we can-
- Excel in class by getting best grades.
- Avoid getting distracted / bored while we study
- Remember lessons we have already learned.
- Get motivated to study.
The answer of above-mentioned riddles is just one mantra – Time Management. Time management is one of the pillar for being a good student. It’s quite evident to said that it is not easy to practice. It requires lot of motivation and self-disciplines, this is where eCareerMentor helps student. God has bestowed some with less money, some with less intellect, some with less beauty but the wonderful fact is that everyone has got the same amount of time i.e. 24 hours a day. So, what remains with us is how we utilize our time. There will be times when we have to ignore friends or that special guy /girl – this is actually the reality of student’s life. If we utilize it prudently, the outcome will be equally good. Out of 24 hrs. only 8 hours are the actual available time with us to shape our future.
During this 8 hours, we have lot of obligation to fulfil towards – Career, Studies, Family, Friends, social life, relatives, entertainment etc. Hence, we went to some of the Grade “A” students and discovered how they utilize this 33% of the day to excel from the rest.
- Stop making to-do list and start with simple act of scheduling your personalized calendar and time blocking. Block your time for subjects, chapters and even topics on calendar and then it will automatically get aligned. Remember every second counts!
- Prioritize your activities. If you are in college and wish to set your path with best of grades, then study is your “Most Important Thing”. Think about your future constantly and it will align you towards your goal. Ask simple question – will the activity help you perform better? Start your day with the most important thing on your priority list. Remember doing different things at a time is to do neither.
- Find your personalized time – In this 8 hours, find your personalized time where you may not get distraction / disturbance at all or shall be minimum. It’s generally stated by all successful personalities for ”Two Hour Concept” i.e. after sleep and before sleep – the first 2 hours of morning and the last 2 hours of night are your personalized time. Average students utilize one of them but Grade “A” student utilizes both. So you may utilize 50% of disposal time. Ensure to block time for self to be at your best.
- Managing Social Image – Actually most of us want to perform well in our exams & in career but at same time we don’t want to be identified as studious student among the friend circle. Somewhere within us, we just want to show that 95% turned up just by overnight study. At the same time, we want 95% too. Will it happen? It’s just a matter of prioritizing. Tag your hours & if it’s important to you, then you will find a way to fit in. Schedule your fringe hours and you will make time for self.
- Honour your schedules: Once we are done with above and have jolted schedule, you must honor the schedule. But most of time due to friends, family or peer pressure, we quickly block out all things in schedule. We feel guilt & self-imposing pressure for saying “No”. One way –“do not just turn down the request” but as a courtesy allocate time from your schedule. Anything not in your schedule, don’t try to please other. Think of yourself first. But again saying “No” to everything may not be possible. But do set aside sometime to hang out with friends/family. It may be simple as having dinner or watching movie in a multiplex. Sometimes you need to fulfill the hours lost by compensating it. Compensation is must without any negligence.
- Apply Pareto Principle in study planning – We don’t want to be labeled as an average nor as full time studious as well. We all desire to look like genius. Maintaining good grades, requires deep understanding of the construct of exam grading system. Use 80/20 rule to identify which task delivers the outsized returns and thereafter focus on. Do smart work, prepare the most important chapter exceptionally well and the rest just good enough.
- Develop self control & avoid present bias: For the scheduled tasks we always tend to procrastinate and underestimate hardship to be best version of ourselves in the present moment. Despite setting all the targets & schedules, we have present bias i.e. we choose something else or nothing to do. That is how resolutions fails. Breaking promise to self is as easy as ideal sitting, watching TV & feeling a lot better than doing what we scheduled. Keep rewards & punishment concept for your schedules to develop self-control. When we study, we need to study. Time is always now, so be mindful & live with intention.
- Use Apps for SelfControl, StayFocusd & use “Me time” : Dedicate time to yourself and work regularly to realize your goals. Numerous applications are available to block distracting applications and beat the temptations of social media. Contact your friends via text or phone calls.
- Stop working in big groups : Group study with more than 3 people either wastes time or give you the answer & you loose the opportunity to learn. Work with one or two study buddies for being accountable for the task.
- Utilize Library facilities, if available: Seeing others around working on assignments motivates us to do the same.
- Setting incremental reminders of upcoming due dates & stay organized.
Well easily said than to follow and that why it’s common to find students struggling. At eCareerMentor, we take full responsibility of students & accountability laying the path for fabulous future. Here we guide student’s triangle of learning through process of talent, strategy and disciplines. Our mentors make sure to plan your day ahead of time, laying down activities to be done to set & move to realize short & long term goals. Students especially from Finance & commerce domain may visit www.ecareermentor.in and get registered in monthly, quarterly or annual plans as per their choice. To taste the mantra for setting yourself on corrective path, 1 month free mentorship plan are also available with limited coupon code “tryfree” for MBA (Finance) & BBA/BBM (Finance) students.
MBA (Finance) mentorship program – https://www.ecareermentor.in/shops/shop-mba-mentorship/
BBA / BBM (Finance) mentorship program – https://www.ecareermentor.in/shops/shop-bba-bbm-mentorship/
Coupon Code – tryfree
Come Join us! Take the first step forward to begin the journey.